Pearisburg is an incorporated town located in Giles County, Virginia. The town was first laid out in 1804, on a terrace between Angel's Roost Mountain and a bend in New River. The town's population in 2000 was 2,729 persons (2000 U.S. Census).
A ferry across New River was established at Pearisburg in 1872, by Captain George Pearis, who later donated land for the town and building materials for the construction of public buildings.
Historic DistrictsThe Pearisburg Historic District, in Pearisburg, VA, includes the principal commercial and governmental areas of downtown Pearisburg. The Federal-style Giles County Courthouse is the earliest and most prominent in the town of Pearisburg. The structure's original two-story central block was constructed in 1836. The Andrew Johnston house, possibily the oldest extant brick home in Giles County, was built in 1826, and served as temporary military headquarters for the Union army in May of 1862, during the American Civil War.
For more information on the districts and individual sites, see Virginia's online listing districts/sites on the National & State Historic Registers in Giles County.