Narrows is an incorporated town located in Giles County, Virginia. The town's population in 2000 was 2.111 persons (2000 U.S. Census).
Map of Narrows, VA
In the winter of 1863, during the American Civil War, approximately 1,000 Confederate soldiers under the command of General John McCausland were stationed in Narrows. A fort was construction on the high hillsides, with artillery pieces trained on the narrow passageway through the valley, and signal corps positioned on East River Mountain.
The Celanese Corporation of America established a large plant along New River at Narrows in 1939. The VaTech Imagebase has a 1942 photo of the Celanese plant available online.