Floyd, an incorporated town in
Virginia, is the county seat. Originally known as
Jacksonville, in honor of President Andrew Jackson,
the town's name was changed to Floyd in 1896. The
town's population in 2000 was 432 persons (2000 U.S.
The Cherokee, Monacan, Saponi, and
Tutelo Indians were among the earliest inhabitants of the
Blue Ridge. Francis Eason was one of the first Europian
settlers in Floyd, arriving in about 1750. In the 1760s,
settlers with British surnames arrived, followed by others
of German descent from Pennsylvania and Maryland who
settled in the area during the 1790s. By 1835, the town had
developed a small industrial and commercial section which
included two general stores, a tavern, a blacksmith shop, a
tanyard, and a saddlemaking shop. The Jacksonville Academy
was established in the late-1850s, which by 1850 had forty
students enrolled. That same year, the town's population
was 220 free persons. Floyd was left relatively untouched
during the American Civil War (1861-1865). As the county's
primary trade center, Floyd continued to develop following
war's end through the early 1900s.
The Floyd Historic District
encompasses most of the town of Floyd.
Map of Floyd, VA